Imogen’s Eggy Tofu Scramble
1 block firm tofu
1 tbsp vegan butter or oil
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp paprika
1 garlic clove
¼ – ⅓ tsp kala namak/black salt (to taste)
100ml soya milk
Spring onions, chives
- Drain and mash tofu with a fork, leaving some chunks. Any tofu can be used – I prefer smoked. You could also use silken tofu, just reduce the milk.
- In a bowl, combine the nutritional yeast, turmeric, paprika, soya milk and kala namak (this isn’t necessary but gives the tofu that sulphuric eggy taste).
- Melt butter in a frying pan, fry off chopped garlic and spring onions, if using.
- Add the tofu and fry until lightly browned.
- Add the sauce and fold it in, fry until the desired consistency has been reached – add more milk if wanted. Season.
- Serve on a toasted English muffin or bagel with chopped chives, pea shoots or watercress, avocado and tomatoes for a light brunch, or with hash browns, vegan sausages, baked beans and fried mushrooms for a full-on hangover cure!