Monica’s Cucumber & Onion Relish
7 large cucumbers, grated
5 large onions, grated
2 tbsp salt, or as needed
3 cups (710ml) white vinegar
3 cups (710ml) white sugar
64g all-purpose flour
1 tbsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground ginger
1tsp ground black pepper
- Combine cucumbers, onions and salt in a colander fitted over a bowl and place in the refrigerator for cucumbers and onions to drain for 8 hours or overnight.
- Mix vinegar, sugar, water, flour, turmeric, ginger, and black pepper in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until the mixture is thickened.
- Add cucumbers and onions and boil for about 10 more minutes.
- Sterilize jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes.
- Pack the relish into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for about 15 minutes.
Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.